Did you know Bioinformatics can help you discover:
- What molecules are involved in vision?
- Why do we see different colors?
- Why don´t all animals see the same colors?
- What happens when there are changes in these molecules?
- Several groups of scientists are involved in projects related to perception of light in different species. These studies showed that from insects to mammals all use the same protein (opsin) to start the mechanism of vision, responsible for cellular processes involved in the initial capture of light.
- Follow the Vision Activity exercises (on top of this page) to answer the questions posed above.
- The execution time of each research activity was planned for sixty minutes.
- Each of the research activities can be performed independently, however there is a logical sequence, which begins with searching a gene in a database.
- Along each exercise, questions are being asked and it is intended they be solved by students and discussed with teachers.