WHAT IS SIMILAR BETWEEN OPSINS?
- To assess the similarity between amino acid or nucleotide sequences, Bioinformatics developed methods that align them.
- Alignments allow the detection of similar regions between proteins and consequently the identification of common secondary structures.
- This type of analysis is extremely important because there is a relationship between protein structure and its function.
- There are several methods to do alignments, and Clustal is the most widely used.
- In the first part of this exercise you identify the amino acids that are conserved between human opsins and relate them with their function. In the
second part of the exercise you observe the 3D structure of opsins.